NExBTL renewable dieselNeste Oil produces and markets premium-quality NExBTL renewable diesel, the most advanced diesel fuel on the market today, and is based on Neste Oil’s proprietary technology.
NExBTL-diesel in a nutshell:
- As a hydrocarbon it corresponds to the chemical composition of traditional diesel, but based on its superior quality, it easily outperforms both conventional biodiesel and fossil diesel,
- A sulfur-, oxygen-, nitrogen- and aromatics-free diesel.
- Thanks to a high cetane number, it combusts efficiently, keeping engines clean.
- Can be used in all modern diesel engines without any modification as such or blended with fossil diesel in various concentrations.
- Its use in a blend improves the technical qualities of the diesel and helps reduce emissions.
- Its use has been proven to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 40–90% over the product’s entire life cycle when compared to fossil diesel.
- Reduces tailpipe emissions which helps improve urban air quality.
- Fully compatible with existing distribution and logistical systems and requires no additional investments in this area.
- Its storage qualities are excellent.
- Excellent cold weather performance means that it can be used year-round even in very cold climates.
Comparing NExBTL diesel (HVO*) and traditional biodiesel (FAME*)
| NExBTL renewable diesel (HVO)
|| Traditional biodiesel (FAME)|
|Fuel can be blended in any blending ratio, i.e. 0–100% of the content.
Can be blended with fossil diesel, traditional biodiesel (FAME), or used as such in diesel engines.
|Fuel blend may contain a maximum of 5–7%** of traditional biodiesel. Larger proportion may result in engine problems.|
|Helps in meeting national biomandates and reducing greenhouse gas and exhaust gas emissions (e.g., PM, NOx, CO, HC) significantly.
Meets the strictest quality standards set by the authorities, logistics, and distribution companies, as well as car manufacturers and fuel using drivers.
Can be used in fuel blends to improve the overall quality of the fuel.
|Helps in meeting national biomandates, but blending restrictions regarding FAME aimed at preventing engine problems limit the benefits the fuel blend offers.|
Reaching the challenging biomandates for traffic (within EU 10% renewable energy in traffic by 2020) with traditional biodiesel alone is not possible unless product specifications are modified to allow the use of lower quality diesel fuel.
Its use increases NOx emissions compared to fossil diesel.
|Reduces greenhouse gas and tailpipe emissions (PM, NOx, CO, HC).
||Increases NOx emissions.|
|Offers excellent storability.
||Must be used before a specific “best before” date.|
|Its use does not require engine modifications or changes in the fuel’s logistical system.
||Its use may cause engine problems.|
* Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) like NExBTL renewable diesel is produced by hydrotreating various vegetable oils, animal-based waste fats, and by-products of vegetable oil refining. HVO is an advanced biofuel compared to traditional biofuel FAME (Fatty Acid Methyl Ester) produced through esterification of vegetable oils.
** Maximum blending ratio allowed under the European diesel standard (EN590).
| Read more about NExBTL diesel|
HVO Product Handbook